Travel Consent Letters

We strongly recommend that Canadian children carry a consent letter if they are travelling abroad alone, with only one parent/guardian, with friends or relatives or with a group. For the purposes of this consent letter, a Canadian child is defined as anyone who is under the age of 18.

Our office is able to assist you with your consent letter by signing as a witness.

A consent letter is not a legal requirement in Canada, but it can simplify travel for Canadian children, as it may be requested by immigration authorities when entering or leaving a foreign country or by Canadian officials when re-entering Canada. The letter demonstrates that Canadian children have permission to travel abroad from parents or guardians who are not accompanying them.

We recommend that you talk to a lawyer about the legal issues that apply to you and your children’s unique situation, particularly if your parenting arrangement has special terms governing international travel. Carrying a consent letter does not guarantee that children will be allowed to enter or leave a country, as every country has its own entry and exit requirements.

We also recommend that the letter be signed by both parents/guardians, regardless of whether they are travelling with the child or not.

You can create a custom travel consent letter by completing this interactive form provided by the Government of Canada, or you may create your own letter based off this template

If the interactive form does not open in your PDF viewer, right click on the link, then on “Save link as…” or “Save target as…” to download a copy. The form may not open in your browser.

You may have your letter witnessed by our staff or by anyone aged 18 or older. You may also choose to sign your letter in front of someone who has the authority to administer an oath or solemn declaration. Please note that our office is not authorized to administer an oath and is only able to sign as a witness.

A travel consent letter does not guarantee acceptance into a foreign country. You can learn more information about travel consent forms on the Global Affairs website. For additional information about entry and exit requirements for Canadian children travelling alone, with only one parent or with another accompanying person, see our Country travel advice and advisories or contact the nearest embassy or consulate of the destination country.

Want to Stay in Touch?

Sign up and get email updates.

Join today!